A full-blown solution based on a product line from SAP AG – Data Archiving Using SAP System.
The solution is intended for enterprises working with large scopes of information and using SAP as a business accounting system.
Sooner or later, each company faces situation of considerable growth of database scope. As a result, the company suffers increase in expenses for information storage and decrease in system productivity. Data archiving will be the best way to resolve this problem.
Under data archiving is meant data transfer from SAP system to data repository. Data archiving is made using special applications working with archiving objects. In their turn, archiving objects are based on database tables containing information related to one or more business objects.
Data archiving is a cost-effective and efficient way of data transfer to data repository applicable to data which are not used in a daily work.
Main reasons for archiving data
- Need in maintaining of a controlled gain to data
- Need in resource savings
- Need in cutting data processing time
- Need in cutting of total costs for an enterprise
- Need in supporting of system efficiency
- Requirements of national legislation (for example, providing of access to data during the audit work or tax inspections)
- Business requirements (data related to completed business processes are subject to archiving; the list of these processes should be ascertained during inspections determining active/inactive status of data use in business operations)
Archive Development Kit (ADK)
Archive Development Kit (ADK) is a kit of archiving objects and functions. This is the main element of SAP archiving process. It contains all functionality required for archiving data (programs designed for recording of archiving files, analyzing and deletion of data from database and final processing of data) and tools for developing data archiving solutions. ADK contains archiving tools for standard SAP tables referred to SAP applications (online data archiving, deletion/access from/to archiving data).
Content of SAP business objects is distributed over some database tables. Archiving objects link tables which are logically connected by business objects. This insures that all information related to business objects is recorded in archiving file and deleted from database. Archiving program logics depends on application components since business processes related to business objects may vary depending on application type.
Standard and user-specific archiving objects
SAP contains more than 300 archiving objects covering most of system functionality. For example, MM_MATBEL archiving object provides archiving of material data and FI_DOCUMNT object provides archiving of financial accounting documents.
The possibility exists of creating either internal archiving objects or modifying available ones. This may be required either during archiving of user tables; alternatively it may be needed for archiving made in compliance with user-specific criteria.
Filing of archiving data
Archiving data files may be stored either in filing system or in specialized storage systems supported by SAP through ArchiveLink technology. As a storage system can be used such systems as SAP Content Server, EMC Centera, IBM CommonStore and others.
Work with archiving data
Archiving data can not be changed but they are accessible for reading (taking into account SAP system of authorities). Therefore, this way allows using of archiving data in reports or other scanning operations. Most of standard SAP functionality supports data scan from archive. When necessary to use such data in own accounts or in case of use of own archiving objects, there is a possibility of program developing/modifying using SAP Archive Development Kit.
Use of infostructures in the archiving process enables to make partial transfer of archiving data to archive. Some data remain (for example, certain set of table fields) in online database providing availability of selected data without reverting to archiving files. Besides, use of infostructures provides not a consequential reading of all archiving files while searching for target data but some indexed search providing sufficient speed of data selection.
Implementation of this solution enables:
- fully use IT potential
- integrate system with industrial data storage systems
- make control over invariability of documents after their approval and transfer for a long and persistent storage
- support the whole document life cycle: from document creation till its deletion including customizing of life cycles consisting from different states number
- provide accessibility of documents and increase efficiency of relative processes thanks to storage management and integration solution with other corporate systems
- apply this technology for archiving of scanned customer documents